- Single class period
Activity One: Radio Advertisement
- Brainstorming sheets of paper
- Radio awareness campaign
Everyone has the ability to be smart with their money. It is about taking the time to recognise and balance your spending and saving habits. It's also about looking for help when you need it. If you don’t do this right now you may need to make changes to your behaviour. In this lesson, students will get the chance to consider how to change people’s behaviour, by using the same techniques that advertisers use on an everyday basis.
Activity One: Radio advertisement
1. Explain that advertising is a form of communication used to encourage, persuade, or manipulate an audience (viewers, readers or listeners) to continue or take some new action.
2. Ask the class to brainstorm the different types of advertising they encounter on a daily basis.
3. Play the Radio awareness campaign.
4. Facilitate a whole class discussion using the following as prompts:
- According to the radio advertisement, what does trying to budget sometimes feels like? (answer: an uphill struggle)
- Why do you think the advertisement uses this comparison?
- Would this advertisement make you do anything differently?
- What is this advertisement trying to get consumers to do?
- Do you think it is an effective advertisement? Why/why not?
- What sound effects were used in the advertisement?
- Did anyone picture anything in particular when you were listening to this advertisement? Why do you think that you imagined this as the picture(s) that would go with this advertisement?
5. Conclude by explaining that although we are often aware of the specific product or service an advertisement is trying to persuade us buy or engage with, we are less aware of the fact that the text, sounds, and images in these advertisements have been carefully crafted to persuade us to favour that product or service. Remind the class that advertising is not the only thing that persuades people. There are many things in life that effect the decisions we make in relation to money and spending.
Radio awareness campaign