Activity One: Review of Lesson Seven Homework Task
1. Ask the class to brainstorm the types of things they found were covered by multi-trip/annual travel insurance (e.g. flight cancellation in the event of illness, loss or damage of baggage during trip, medical expenses while away etc).
2. Invite a selection of students to present their 160-character text message to Lucy.
Activity Two: Making a complaint role play
1. Explain to the class you might find you need to make a complaint. Ask students to call out five reasons why people might complain to a business. Record student responses on the white/blackboard. They may mention some of the following:
- The product they bought is faulty
- A product or service did not fit the description
- A product is not of the quality expected
- You complained already and didn’t get a response
- You paid for something but didn’t receive it
- They have a complaint about customer service or the way they were treated
2. Ask students ‘What would you do if you had a complaint?’ Record student feedback on the white/blackboard.
3. Divide the class into small groups.
4. Distribute one scenario from Student Worksheet: Role play scenarios to each group.
5. Invite each group to allocate the following roles to four members of their group: shop manager, shop assistant, person complaining, and friend/family member accompanying person complaining. If there are more than four people in any group the remaining people could take on tasks such as: director, script writer, time-keeper etc.
6. Invite each group to prepare and then perform a short role play based on their scenario for the rest of the class.
7. At the end of each role play ask the class to consider the following question:
Did the characters in the role play take the correct steps for making a complaint? If yes, give examples. If no, why do you think this was the case?
What do you think happens next?
8. Explain that the steps for making a complaint need to be considered on a case-by-case basis but there are strategies which often work.
9. Conclude by sharing information from Teacher Resource Sheet: Making a complaint.